UA-33705504-1

Abe Lincoln

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich...strengthen the weak by weakening the strong...bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift...lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down...build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence...help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What is it Wednesday

 I love old things.  A couple of years ago I started What is it Wednesday.   So for about a year I would post something old, or new to us.  Well life get is the way and I was going on another path with my blog.  With in the last month I had a couple of people ask about the What is it Wednesday and how they enjoyed it.  So I will repost some of the older posting and do some new posting.  Let's travel back to simple time!

This week let go back to cleaning rugs with the old rug beater.  Once a week the rug where hung out and beaten to remove dust and dirt.  Spring and Fall the big heavy rugs where dragged from the house for a good beating.  What a great way of getting your anger out with out hurting anyone.  We need more rug beating today!  After a good beating the rugs where left out for a good airing in the sun.



In 1909 Fred Wardell, started the Eureka Vacuum cleaner company, in Detroit, Michigan.  I'm not sure of the exact date of the one I have, but have they come a long way.  The old vacuum does have attachment, but no HEPA filter.  I did plug this in once with dust going everywhere and a lot of noise.  In 1909 the vacuum was made in American, today they are made in China.  What will the next 100 years bring to cleaning rugs?








2 comments:

The Moonlit Stitch said...

I like your WIIW's too Rose! We just had to buy another new vac - don't make them like they used to! Thanks for the history! ~*~Lisa

Barb said...

Hi Rose,
Love this little blast from the past. My gran made me and my cousins beat her rugs when we would go to Idaho for a visit.
Hated it then but would love to go back in time and enjoy it now!!
Thanks for a great post!
Barb