UA-33705504-1

Abe Lincoln

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich...strengthen the weak by weakening the strong...bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift...lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down...build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence...help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What is it Wednesday







Welcome friends to another what is Wednesday.  Today just some family Christmas ornaments.  All from the 1950's and 60's.  Some belonged to my Grandfather Thomas and my Dad.  My dad was a big hunter and had a lot of deer ornaments, plus a paper beer mug ornament.  They are started to get very fragile so this year I have them a over size mason jar.  I would believe that these all came from a dime store, do you remember those?  The local 5 and 10 cent shop (or dime store) started by sell everything for 5 or 10 cents.  Woolworth's was the first then Kresge followed watching how Mr. Woolworth ran his stores.  People love to shop in these stores for quailty products at affordable prices.  From the dime store Mr. Kresge started K-Mart and the Kresge Foundation, all based here in Detroit, Michigan.  In the early days of the dime store you could go in and  purchase Christmas ornaments made in Germany (my mother in law) still has some of these.  Will the ornaments we purchase this year last 50 or 60 years?  Do you have some old ornaments in your family and cherish them each year?  I hope so, it is a great way of connecting to our past, and nice to see great great grandkids enjoy them.


1 comment:

Tolentreasures said...

My Mom has all the ornaments that were on her tree when she was little in the 30's and 40's still in their original boxes. I keep trying to get those from her, but my dear husband has decided with 5 grandchildren under the age of 5...it just isn't the time to put them up yet.

Cathy